|Location||Illinois Ave. near the Fox River|
Aurora, IL 60505
|Original Line||Chicago, Aurora & Elgin RR|
|Platforms||2, low level|
Illinois Ave. was a station on the Aurora branch of the Chicago, Aurora and Elgin Railroad and was located at the crossing of Illinois Avenue in the city of Aurora. Unlike the majority of other stations on the branch, Illinois Ave. was not part of the stop scheme established in 1902, but instead was an infill station added between Aurora Ave. and the Aurora terminal. It opened between September 16, 1928 and January 26, 1929.
As it was one of the few stations on a double tracked section of the Aurora branch, Illinois Ave. consisted of a pair of low level platforms on opposite sides of the roadway. The eastbound platform was on the south side while the westbound platform was on the north.1
Illinois Ave. served Aurora passengers until July 3, 1957, when the Chicago Aurora and Elgin Railway suddenly shut down its passenger service at 12:13 p.m. Eventually it was demolished.