Winfield Township, IL
|Established||August 25, 1902|
|Original Line||Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Ry|
|Platforms||1, low level|
Gary Road was a stop on the early Aurora, Elgin and Chicago Railway at the crossing of the no-longer-existent Gary Road. It was one of only a handful of stops that began serving passengers on August 25, 1902, opening day for the AE&C.1
It was a local stop serving the small population of rural Winfield Townshp in DuPage County between Wheaton and the then-unincorporated community of Warrenville. Photographs from the era depicting rural AE&C stops show that they consisted of little more than short wooden platforms, inches tall, at the crossing of unimproved roads. Gary Road would have the same construction.
The stop would continue to appear on public maps until at least 1905, but (along with Poss Road) came to be one of the railroad’s earliest closures with abandonment occurring at some point before 1920.