The sun is setting on the Chicago Aurora & Elgin as this two car train leaves Spring Road on its way to Forest Park. In 1957, 407 will get repainted into the red and blue-gray scheme that the car ahead of it already has and that the brick passenger shelter mimics.

Photo by William Higginbotham, from the collection of Curt Clifford

Spring Road

Spring Road and Railway Street [Prairie Path Ln], City of Elmhurst


Spring Road was a local station on the main line at the intersection of Spring Road and Railway Street [Prairie Path Ln.] in Elmhurst. As was common on the main line, the station consisted of two low level platforms situated on opposite sides of the crossing. The eastbound platform was on the west side of Spring Road while the westbound platform was on the east side. Spring Road opened in late 1902 as one of several stations that opened shortly after the Aurora, Elgin and Chicago Railway began service.1

Circa 1911, Spring Road was one of a several stops to be upgraded with either brick or stone stations as part of an improvement project. The stop received a brick waiting shelter with a hipped roof of the same type as at Seminary, Berkeley, York St., Villa Park, and High Lake.

Nothing of the station remains, however the area around the station is still home to a commercial district, as is the case with many of the locations of former CA&E stations. In Augusut 2006, the city of Elmhurst placed a marker commemorating the location of the former station.

Full station profile and history coming soon.

Additional Photos


Wearing the dusty Washington Blue paint scheme it will carry to the end, 403 makes a stop at Spring Raod on its way to Forest Park in the 1950s. The smokestack for the Ovaltine plant looms in distance.

Photo by Robert Heinlein


  1. "The Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Railway." Street Railway Journal Oct. 1902: 407. Print.