to home

A five car train pulls into York Street in 1948 on its way east to the Wells Street Terminal. Two men (either track or signal maintainers) walk down the westbound track while a third man with a Fairmont motorcar stands nearby at the crossing. Powell’s served as the station’s ticket office.

Unknown, C Scholes

York St.

York Street near Seminole Avenue, City of Elmhurst


York St. was a station on the Chicago, Aurora & Elgin’s main line at the crossing York Street north of Vallette Steet in Elmhurst. The station opened on August 25, 1902 as South Elmhurst and was one of the original stops on the Aurora, Elgin and Chicago Railway.1 York St. consisted of two low level platforms on opposite sides of York. The eastbound platform was on the west side of the crossing and the westbound platform was on the east side.

Circa 1911, York St. was one of a several stops to be upgraded with either brick or stone stations as part of an improvement project.2 York received a brick waiting shelter with a hipped, tile roof of the same type as at Seminary, Berkeley, Spring Road, Villa Park, and High Lake. The new waiting shelter contained a single room with a brick fireplace, cement floors, and electric heaters.2 As this structure was insufficient to house a ticket office, tickets were instead sold at Powell’s Confectionery, a commercial establishment on York Street immediately south of the CA&E right-of-way.3

Some time after the end of Chicago, Aurora & Elgin passenger service ended, the brick station was demolished and the lights, signage, and other platform accessories were removed. The Illinois Prairie Path now runs through the station, however, both the east-and-westbound platforms are still in existence though typically obscured by the wild undergrowth in the area.

Full station profile and history coming soon.

Additional Photos


The South Elmhurst station shortly after the construction of its passenger shelter, circa 1911. The layout and materials used in the construction were used at several other stations constructed at this time. Note the early design of the flagstop semaphore. In later years, this station would be important enough to not have such a signal. With the exception of the roofing material, the shelter would remain virtually unchanged over the next four and a half decades.

Electric Railway Journal


Bringing up the rear of a two car train leaving York Street is car 410, seen here heading east on a trip bound for Chicago. The curved sign atop the shelter and clay tile roofing would both end up being replaced with less ornamental substitutes. The Chicago Great Western depot is seen at left.

Photo from the Van Dusen Collection

Photo No. ILL-409, IRM.


A post-shutdown shot of the passenger shelter and eastbound platform as seen looking west from York Street. Vegetation is beginning to overtake the tracks.

Photo by Don Bruno


Another post-shutdown shot of the York Street station. Note the DANGER ELECTRIC CURRENT sign present at the CA&E’s grade crossings.

Photo by Don Bruno


  1. “New Electric Line Opened.” Hearst’s Chicago American 25 Aug. 1902: 3. Print.
  2. “Recent Improvements on Aurora, Elgin & Chicago.” Electric Traction Weekly Feb. 1911: 150.
  3. “C. A. E. TICKETS ARE ON SALE AT HOUSE’S DRUGS.” The Elmhurst Press [Elmhurst, IL] 30 Jan. 1931: 1.