In its early years, the Batavia Powerhouse not only supplied electricty to the Aurora Elgin & Chicago Railroad, but also to various towns and cities along the Fox River. By 1955, when this photo was taken, those days were long behind it. The Glenwood Park station, whose importance had also decreased with time, is at left.

Photo by Don Ross

Batavia Powerhouse


Full profile and history coming soon.

Additional Photos


Demand for electrical power increased quickly and in 1911 the powerhouse was expanded with two more boilers and an additional engine unit. Externally, the appearance of the powerhouse was virtually unchanged by the expansion except for the instalation of a second smoke stack. The Glenwood Park station (seen in the foreground at right) was also rebuilt for greater capacity around the same time.

Electric Railway Journal